Sign in to follow this  
Eugenio

My 7-string guitar and other related things

BradHoytAVC    0
I don't know, but maybe it takes some 25 years to create a trend and maybe some other 25 to consolidate that trend and create followers. I hope we can talk more about the 7-string, there's a lot of nice things about it.

And speaking of harp guitar, is there a standard for that type of instrument? I mean, number of strings, written music with certain notation standards, etc.

Hello Eugenio,

I would say that the most common harp guitar configuration is one that has 6 strings on the neck and 6 "sub-bass" strings. This link to the Wikipedia entry has a picture of the most common design - the Dyer style harp guitar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harp_guitar

Also, regarding all things harp guitar, check out this website: www.harpguitars.net If you go to the history section, you will likely find the answers to all of your questions..!

The harp guitar that I will be playing soon will be the first ever harp guitar version of the viola caipira. it will have 30 strings with 5 doubled open bass courses tuned in octaves and 5 treble courses tuned in unison. It will be interesting. :)

-Brad

www.bradhoyt.com

Eugenio    0

Hi Brad, I had the great opportunity of trying Frank's harp guitar this last weekend and found it an absolutely fascinating instrument!

fdoucette    0

Brad, nice to see you here my friend. You are, of course, correct regarding what has become a standard configuration for harp guitars and that www.harpguitars.net can answer all harp guitar questions. The website has information on a tremendous variety of instrument configurations, some of which are also in use today.

Eugenio, I'm glad you enjoyed the harp guitar. It went over quite well at the 5th annnual Harp Guitar Gathering last weekend. As I mentioned, in a way I do find the harp guitar easier to wrap my head around than the 7-string. The harp strings generally create only one pitch each. You don't have to worry about fretting them for a particular pitch.

That said, the 7-string is certainly a wonderful and versitile instrument that deserves a strong place in Brazilian music. If any of you ever get the chance to hear Eugenio play his 7-string, you must take advantage of the opportunity! I had the pleasure at the recent GFA convention. Fantastic!

Take care!

--Frank

Eugenio    0

Frank, I really loved the harp-guitar and I fell in love with Ed Claxton's work, simply superb! And as always, you are too generous!

fdoucette    0

Eugenio, I did notice that you bonded with my Claxton 6-string. I'm sure Ed would enjoy building a 7-string. Maine may disagree with the comment about my generosity if I take you to visit Ed's shop next year and the temptation is too great for you to resist placing an order. ;)

Take care!

--Frank

fdoucette    0

Hey Eugenio,

I think persistence helps. I spent a lot of time talking longingly with Christa about instruments that insterested me and how they would feed my soul.

By the way, I have found that a flamenco guitar duo has recorded a CD with a couple of Claxton steel-string instruments. They are El Duo Duende. Check out what they say about Ed Claxton's work at http://aldendellmusic.com/guitars/cg1005.html .

Take care!

--Frank

shadow5    0

Very nice article, Eugenio. That certainly gave me some insight into some details I was previously unsure about.

Thanks! Cordial and informative as always! :D

lo1    0
I'm glad you liked it, Stackabones!

The main issue with getting a 7-string now is that there is no published sheet music whatsoever (unless you want to play classical music by Napoleon Coste in alternative tunings).

Although its tradition as an accompaniment instrument is consolidated, I'd say the 7-string guitar is being played as a solo instrument for a little more than 25 years, which is a short time. We have rely on playing by ear, write transcriptions and arrangements on our own, have the composers make the scores available or order custom-made transcriptions, which are more expensive than off-the-shelf sheet music.

I believe it'll take some more 25 years to have all those issues sorted out. :rolleyes:

There are some transcriptions of 7-string guitar lines in this book: http://www.lumiar.com.br/livro/l_violao7.htm