Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zweshua

Please can you help me find chords for Bossa Nova version of The Shadow of Your Smile?

11 posts in this topic

HI, I am trying to find the chords for a Bossa Nova version of a real loved melody and song of mine, The Shadow of Your Smile

I have tried at Youtube, but the few videos are not very good.

Please understand that it is just chord transitions I need because I also sing the song, so am just needing possible chord progression.

Could anyone here help me with this request, or link me to a possible source that can? Thank you

There's a number of chord charts on the net, this is just an example:

http://www.guitarparty.com/en/song/the-shadow-of-your-smile/

Yes I am familar with that type from another page. But what I am after is actual video demonstration of the Bossa Nova style where you use base strings as percussion. That is how I a learnt Garota de Ipanema

for example, i HAVE found this one

This looks promising. at first i didn't like it, but struggling will learn me better. Same it did with learning Insensatez from trying to work out finger positions of a guitarist from video. took me a while but it was worth effort Edited by zweshua

If you see this

As you see he is singing and showing hands. I think this guy charges for lessons. But what I am asking for--isthere any guitarist here who would play The Shadow of Your Smile in Bossa Nova style and sing also so I can work out the shapes I need to copy down so I can then know it please. I am struggling with the electronic tab youtube video mofo

I have a suggestion. You might not like it, but I hope that you think about it:

The chords in the video are very, very simple and are extremely basic for bossa nova. If you already know some bossa nova songs, you should know some (or all) of these chords—even it they're played in a different sequence.

I suggest that you forget about the chords as they are written and learn to recognize them by sound. Once you learn a few basic chords, you should be able to play almost any song in the simple style displayed in the video. After you learn the basics, then you can start getting fancy and playing prettier chords and making nice substitutions.

I want you to be able to listen to a bossa nova song and pick out the chords you know simply by listening. When you learn a new chord, listen to it while you're playing it. Many people play chords and don't recognize them when somebody else plays them. That's because they're not really listening. Listen, truly listen, and you will eventually be able to listen to an unfamiliar song and recognize the chords.

Edited by patskywriter

Hey Patsty, Good to hear from you

Your advice is VERY important, I know.

I will try that, I promise. But I also am impatient too...lol because ONCE I do learn the basic chords (to support my singing, and I do experiment vocally also, because voice is intrument too of course) I then can experiment with the tune on guitar. At the moment I have Insensatez, Garota de Ipanema, and Wave (though I haven't tackled Wave yet---that sounds too funny, I know lol on more than one level)

You must admit it seems very rare to find Brazilian guitarists who both play guitar and sing and give lessons at same time online? I have not yet found one guitarist who plays The Shadow of Your Smile on guitar sing it at same time. MAYBE when I do it I will be the first in history...? heh

IE of course when a guitarist doesn't sing he is using guitar to sing the melody. I would see no harm in Brazilian guitarists offering this service (singing amnd playing guitar and giving lessons) for your wonderful Bossa Nova etc :)))

Edited by zweshua

Here is a Youtube video with vocal and guitar. It's not necessary for the performer to be Brazilian—after all, the song was written by USA songwriters. This is not bossa nova, but many of the chords are easy and almost mandatory for playing bossa nova properly. You can take these same chords and play bossa nova.

[video/

Edited by patskywriter

Maybe so but it has a VERY Brazilian Bossa Nova feel about it. Both melody, rythm, and song

Thankyou for finding my that video also

I am delighted to have JUST found up to now best Bossa Nova arrangement that I will try and work out chords!! The guitarist's name sounds Brazilian also?

Also I have just looked at clip from the film The Sandpiper and see they have lyrics in both English and Portugeuse. I LOVE the English lyrics, but I remember ben VERY pleasantly suprised when I saw Brazlian Portugese lyrics for Garota de Ipanema. SO different from the more simpler English version. Can anyone link me to Englsih translation of the Portuguese lyrics of The Shadow of Your Smile?

I watched the video. Even though the guitarist's name is Carlos, I doubt if he's Brazilian. I guess it's okay to learn something from this video, but please don't copy his playing too closely. It's not really all that good.

Edited by patskywriter