Kazu

Rabello Videos?

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

After i got into brazilian music 2 years ago I got completly obssesed with the guitar style of Raphael Rabello. He is my all time favourite Guitar Player and I have probably seen all videos that exist on youtube and have listened to every record I could find.

My question is: Does somebody have any footage or recordings that can not be found in the english part of the internet. You can often find concerts or special recordings uploaded on certain websites that are not on youtube. I can not speak Portuguese so its kind of hard to find such things using Google translator. Is their maybe some sort of website or a guy who is selling rare perfomances by rabello?

Whatever has been unearthed over the last couple of years ended up on YouTube. I still remember seeing some stuff on TV that still didn't make to YT, but it's probably just a matter of time.

Unfortunately, most of the material was recorded on VHS tapes and a lot of stuff that people posted on the Internet had some type of degradation, image, sound or both.

I remember watching a TV show where Paco de Lucia was being interviewed and all of a sudden, guess who shows up unannounced? Rabello! :)

This is something that made to YouTube, but image and sound are not the best. In the excerpt below, Rabello plays something that he and Paco later recorded together, "Samba do Avião":

Here's Rabello again as a guest in Francis Hime's show (on the piano). They play one of Francis' songs, "Meu Caro Amigo" (My Dear Friend).

Thank you very much eugenio but I allready kene those 2 videos. But still amazing performances of rapha.

Oh, we're always trying to unearth never-seen-before footage in Brazil, nobody's hiding anything (or so I hope)! :thumbsup:

There's a also a number of amateur videos that were shot back in 1992 when Raphael was playing at a friends's house, Pascoal Guimarães.

Have you seen them? Here's one:

Yeah i know them all. Rapha plays a incredible versions of Brincando de odeon. Really great played alot of Improvisation combined with great technique. Wow is this a amazing guitarist.

Rabello was unbelievable, mind blowing. I have the one CD that he recorded for GSP and it's hard to believe anyone could play the guitar like that.

You'll also find a lot of videos where Raphael is accompanying a singer. This one in particular dates back to when he was still playing steel strings.

And here's in duet with Armandinho (a mandolin player).

Yes, he started his career imitating Dino 7 Cordas. The traditional seven string guitar uses steel strings and is played with a thumb pick.

Rabello then migrated to nylon strings and then created a lot of interest around a soloist style based on a seven string guitar.

Yes the musical development of raphael is so interesting, he startet out with a very classical guitar approach were he was in my eyes a bit stiff. His prime really startet in the early 90s, especiacly when he startet getting into Paco de Lucias music. Even though they came from different countries with different musical backgrounds they had the same mentality towards music and interest in the music of each other.

If you lock at this version of Samba do Aviao you can see the musical changes Rapha made. You hear alot more percussiv tapping like Flamanco golpe and picado runs in his later playing. Especially the part in the middle that is very very jazzy with that samba feel. Overall his musical approach was alot more into improvisation in his later career. That was the time around 1994 1993. Very sad that he died then. I would probably sell my soul for a Duo ala Mclaughlin and Paco with Paco de Lucia and Raphael Rabello. This live perfomances would probably be the guitar Bible of these days. The programm Ensaio recording is another proof of those stylistic changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZNoReByX4M

It is very funny, because I think I read somewhere here in the forum that purist of the classical guitar in Brazil where blaming Raphael for "gypsying" the brazilian guitar. Ironic that Paco the Lucia was blammed by purist of gypsy Flamenco that he would move away from the true flamenco roots, and disturbing the view on spanish guitar because he got alot into brazilian and jazz Music.

Really two greats and my two favorited guitarist.