Savona SN 20

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 Tone Meister

Tone Meister

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

Richard, I plan to post pictures of my AWN 20 as soon as possible, hopefully later tonight. It would be fantastic to learn some history on this instrument and identify the woods as accurately as possible. Again, this thing sounds very full and powerful for a small-bodied guitar.

#12 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

Tone Meister,

Welcome to the forum. The Brazilian rosewood is hardly the reason your guitar is sounding powerful and resonating, as that wood usually contributes more to the sound quality and projection than to volume. Those factory-made guitars can vary a lot, and some of them can be quite good.

Pictures would certainly help identify the woods. Close-up pictures will be more than desirable.

#13 Tone Meister

Tone Meister

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

Need help posting pictures. Will I need to use an FTP site?

#14 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

No need to use FTP, you can use a website like:

http://xs.to

Once you upload each picture, the web site will give a "forum code" or something like:

[url ] [img ] your image [/ img] [/ url]

You just need to copy and paste the link on your post. If you still find it difficult, feel free to contact me in private and I'll be glad to help.

#15 Tone Meister

Tone Meister

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:47 AM

Here are some pictures of the AWN 20. Thanks for your help Eugenio.

#16 Guto

Guto

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Tha back and sides look like Mahogany to me.

No idea about the top, though.

#17 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

The fretboard seems to be made of Brazilian rosewood, but not the back and sides, they really look like mahogany, as Guto mentioned. The Soundboard looks like spruce, but not AAA. I can't be sure, I hope some luthier will jump in and help us.

#18 Tone Meister

Tone Meister

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

Anyone else have an idea about the woods or know anything about the Savona guitars?

#19 Keys group

Keys group

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Tone Meister @ Oct 18 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone. I also have a Savona classical that I'd like information about if possible. I just acquired a Savona AWN 20, also made in Brazil. Mine seems to have some different woods than what Bok Choy described for his SN 20. The neck and head stock are solid wood rather than laminated. I am not a wood expert but I believe the back and sides of the body are rosewood and the fretboard certainly is rosewood. Perhaps someone here could confirm or refute that if I were to post some pictures? The top is a beautiful light-grained wood, but what it is I have no idea. It could be spruce, but I'm just not sure. The grain doesn't seem tight enough for spruce. No idea what wood the neck is made of.

I came across another forum where one guy said these could be worth as much as $2000-$2500 because of the rare woods. I know this one does sound very powerful and full compared to many other classicals I've played, probably because of the Brazilian rosewood. Kind of interesting given the small body.

Has anyone learned any more about these since the last post? If so, wonder what the fundamental differences are between the SN 20 and the AWN 20? Thanks in advance everyone.

Hi! I've had my Savona AWN 20 for about ten years. It was sold to me buy a workmate who studied beside Earl Klugh. He told me the guitar lessons happened in the 1960's. He sold it to me in 1998 for $40! I can't find any info on this guitar either.
Everyone who plays it loves it. Many wanted to buy it. It's in great condition. Also have the original case that came with. I would love to know more about it.

Ben

#20 Tone Meister

Tone Meister

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:07 AM

Ben,
I have found no additional information about mine since I posted in this forum. I continue to play it and and absolutly love the tone and projection. If you learn more about the one you have, please post your findings to this thread. Good luck!!

TM