• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 randalljazz

randalljazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

GUINGA himself is on the faculty this year, along with many other outstanding musicians.

music camp

#2 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

OMG! Thanks sooooo much for sharing, randalljazz! I have to find a way to make it to this!

Although I will be terrified to expose my meager abilities; it's Guinga! Once in a lifetime opportunity to meet this GREAT composer! :thumbsupsmiley:

If I can only get time off work...???

#3 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Guinga's been there before and it's really quite an interesting event, I have a friend who's been there at that time and he came back in awe.

The event will also feature another tremendous Brazilian guitarist, Alessandro Penezzi and Egberto Gismonti's son, Alexandre, so there's plenty of guitar. And for those who are more interested in song writers such as Guinga, Ivan Lins is quite a star!

#4 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hi guys!

Don't have much time right now, but I wanted to say thanks so much for recommending the brazil band camp, which I was fortunate enough to attend.
It was really wonderful, almost like a religious experience; sooooo worth it! :thumbsupsmiley:

I hope I can return here soon to give a more detailed account of my experience and impressions!

I could devote an entire post just to Guinga; meeting him in person had such a profound impact on me. I am so grateful to have had the chance to spend time in his presence. Imagine waking up every morning and getting to hang out with such a towering figure as Tom Jobim.That's what it felt like for me (and judging by my discussion w/ others, I was not the only one who felt that way)! Long live Guinga! :D

#5 Guto

Guto

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Great testimonial, Kristi. Congratulations for making the effort to attend it!

So nice you enjoyed it. Posted Image

If you have some time later, let us know more about it, ok?

Posted Image

#6 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Great testimonial, Kristi. Congratulations for making the effort to attend it!

So nice you enjoyed it. Posted Image

If you have some time later, let us know more about it, ok?

Posted Image

Thanks, Guto. Yes, I would really like to tell everyone more about it, maybe it could help others to decide whether or not it would be worth it for them. :thumbsupsmiley:

#7 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

Guinga is a true artist! Thanks for sharing!

#8 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Thanks, Eugenio!

Here are a few more special memories from the camp:

Ivan Lins...he is like a ray of sunshine, always walking around with a smile on his face and joking around. Very adorable and gregarious personality! And he said he would like to return to camp next year because he enjoyed it so much! :thumbsupsmiley:

During Guinga's class at the bakery across from the street, Ivan would sometimes stop in and sing a song or two with Guinga accompanying on guitar. One of the most magical moments was when, one afternoon, he dropped by and sang the famous song 'Começar de Novo' with Guinga playing guitar. It was fascinating to watch the way Ivan was all jovial right before singing, and then, he dropped his head, put his hand like a visor over his eyes...and poof, it was as if suddenly he went into a different character like an actor would. The transformation was incredible to watch (for those not familiar with the Portuguese lyrics, it's seems to be a break-up song, so kind of bittersweet and emotionally wrenching). Oh yes, and his natural voice is just wonderful...Ivan sometimes likes to use electronic effects on his recorded vocals, but I can assure you that he doesn't need them! Since I'm a girl I don't mind confessing that he had me almost sobbing near the end! Ok I bet even some of the guys got teary-eyed! haha! It's not every day that you get to see two legendary artists perfom together less than 5 yards away! :D

I was also lucky to get to see Ivan perform a concert on the main stage for 3 nights. He played so many great songs...Abre Alas, Lua Soberano, Cartomanche(one of my favorite songs that I was hoping he would play), etc. and he even created a new song inspired by the camp. Students could choose to accompany him during the performance...they were given scores and the guy who directed it all, Marcos, seemed to be organizing who would play what. It was interesting to see how much effect the varying drummers could have; if the drummer was really 'cooking'(by cooking, I mean a good solid groove, not showing off), it made such a huge difference in the energy of the song. A few of the drummers were trying to do impressive technical stuff but I found it distracting from the song, so that was an interesting learning experience.

Well, I think that's enough for now! Hope I didn't bore everyone to death!

Edited by Kristi_Shannon, 20 September 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#9 PedroI

PedroI

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Okay I'm going there! (from São Paulo).

Anyone else?

#10 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

I wish I could go, please don't forget to tell us how it went after you come back!