• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Geraldo Couto

Geraldo Couto

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

HI all,

I already saw Abreu Guitars being sold on eBay, but are the Abreu Guitars really known in that places? Who could tell me about that?

Thanks in advance,

Geraldo Couto

#2 Eugenio

• Moderators
  • 8,757 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hi Geraldo, welcome to the forum.

I've been living in the US for about 11 years, and what I've seen here is that his guitars are relatively well know among the guitarists and he enjoys a good reputation, but they are not among the most coveted or sought after instruments. A quick look at sites like Guitar Salon can give you a good picture, you'll hardly ever find any Abreu guitars there, but names such as Humphrey, Rubio and Ruck are like permanent fixtures. eBay, on the other hand, is not exactly a reliable place to search for and buy fine guitars.

And all of my comments have nothing to do with the quality of his guitars, it's just the market. We have to take into account that the traditional Torres/Hauser style is an overcrowded market in Brazil, but most renowned luthiers in Europe, Australia and USA have been pursuing a different line of construction, where double-tops, lattice, carbon fiber, elevated fingerboard and other features are common place. Sergio Abreu never incorporated any of those things.

Last, but not least, there are no major heavy-weight players using Abreu guitars, which also makes a big difference as to how the buyers (mostly amateurs) will perceive the value and marketability of the instrument (again, regardless of its quality).