4 replies to this topic

#1 patskywriter

patskywriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:music, photography, community media, gardening

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

does anyone know if the 3-album barclay set by the baden powell quartet has been released on CD? (barclay is a french label.) i have the LPs, but i'd like a nice, clean digital version. the barclay sessions are examples of some of the most delightful ensemble playing i've ever heard in brasilian music. some of the tunes are "pra que chorar," "do jeito que a gente quer," "dora," "cidade vazia," "vou deitar e rolar," "coisa #1," and the fun but soulful "rapaz de bem."

#2 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,682 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi Pat, I don't think that album has ever been re-released, at least not in the US. I also checked Amazon in France and Germany and couldn't find it there, either. On a side note, Marcel Powell (Baden's son) recorded "Rapaz de Bem" in his album "Aperto de Mão".

#3 rods

rods

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Some years ago (2002 is the date on my CD), Universal released a two-CD album called "O Universo Musical de Baden Powell". The first CD is called "The Barclay Years 1964-1972" and the second is called "The Festival Years 1970-1977". There is a DVD with the same name, but they are not the same material as far as I know.
You can find the track list (and some samples) at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B00009YXBM

Rodrigo

Edited by rods, 21 December 2011 - 08:42 AM.

#4 patskywriter

patskywriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:music, photography, community media, gardening

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

thanks, eugenio and rodrigo. :) i'll give a listen to baden's son—i haven't heard him yet. i checked the "o universo musical" CD and some of the song titles are the same, but they're different versions.

#5 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,682 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

Not sure if I'd recommend Marcel's music, at least not for now. He tries to imitate his father, but I'd say he's being doing a poor job of copying Baden at his lowest.