Clementina de Jesus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

When Guinga mentioned Clementina de Jesus as an influence, I thought I'd better check and see what he meant. One thing that comes across in hearing Guinga sing and play live (alone) is this very African sense of rhythm, and I don't mean just the obvious influence that you hear in all of Brazilian music. It's more like you can actually hear him channeling Clementina when he sings...it's a distillation of that raw energy, maybe like what I would imagine a chant in a terreiro to sound like? Anyhow, it's incredible to think that she had spent 20 years as a maid before becoming famous at age 48. I think Guinga mentioned that she was a chain-smoker and had a bit of a creaky voice, but still everyone loved her. When I watch this video I can understand why:

Clementina de Jesus

Edited by Kristi_Shannon, 21 December 2011 - 02:11 AM.

#2 Eugenio

• Moderators
  • 8,757 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

Clementina's voice is close to what you'd hear in a terreiro, but what she's singing and that type of accompaniment is not typical of a terreiro, on the contrary. I'm sure Guinga has her as one of his influences, but I can't really see his work as derivative or in a direct line with that type of music, he's too "MPB" for that. The one guy that has a free pass among both the MPB musicians and the roots of samba is Paulinho da Viola.