Photo

Easy to Play but Beautiful Melody and Harmony?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

For a while now, I've been practicing several pieces which are above my abilities on guitar; for example, I've been working on Paulo Bellinati's 'Valsa Brilhante' for about a year now...almost there! While it is totally worth it, and I've made a lot of progress, I'd also like to be able to learn some instrumental pieces that are technically easier, but still sound beautiful in terms of melody and harmony...something that can be learned in maybe a couple of days or so...and that sounds pretty and impressive to someone who isn't a guitarist and knows better! haha. I'm thinking maybe some arrangements of bossa nova songs? I've made my own arrangements of 'Desafinado', 'Wave', and 'Começar de Novo', but I know there must be much better arrangements out there. Any suggestions? I like classical music too but am just not that familiar with all of the various works.

#2 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Hi Kristi,

Diogo Carvalho wrote a book published by Ulisses Rocha that consists of Brazilian standards arranged for solo guitar, but in a simplified way, so it won't take a huge amount of time and effort to play and feel rewarded.

Besides the book, there's a bunch of Brazilian pieces that are not too complicated and sound lovely. I have a few in my mind:

Viagem (Baden Powell)
Fim de Tarde (Ulisses Rocha)
Sublime Amor (Paulo Soarez)
Samba de Uma Nota Só (Jobim)

#3 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hi Kristi,

Diogo Carvalho wrote a book published by Ulisses Rocha that consists of Brazilian standards arranged for solo guitar, but in a simplified way, so it won't take a huge amount of time and effort to play and feel rewarded.

Besides the book, there's a bunch of Brazilian pieces that are not too complicated and sound lovely. I have a few in my mind:

Viagem (Baden Powell)
Fim de Tarde (Ulisses Rocha)
Sublime Amor (Paulo Soarez)
Samba de Uma Nota Só (Jobim)

Thanks for the suggestions, Eugenio! It's funny...I was just enjoying some wonderful acoustic-only performances of Ulisses Rocha on YouTube the other day. His compositions are always so pretty and melodic. I'm pretty sure 'Fim de Tarde" was one of the ones I heard. I think for performances it's great to start out with a few warm-up songs, especially for someone like me who is a little nervous at the beginning. Hope you are doing well! :)

#4 randalljazz

randalljazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

another's search

#5 randalljazz

randalljazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

and

baden powell

#6 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Corcovado is another big standard that's relatively easy to play, the melody is in the chords, once you get the chord chart, you can figure it out.

#7 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

Not exactly a great rendition, but the video below can save you some time and help you figure out Corcovado.

#8 ronjazz

ronjazz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sons de Carrilhos is an easy but tuneful piece that drips with the flavor of the choros, and don't ignore the Villa-Lobos works, especially the Choros Typico suitte.

#9 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys! This definitely gives me a lot to work with. Meanwhile, I am working on creating an instrumental version of one of my favorite songs: "Basta de Clamares Inocencia". Fortunately, so far I've been able to find the voicings I want without too much difficulty...and it's a nice slow song! The lyrics seem to be an example of a bad break-up...kind of like 'don't bother asking for forgiveness, just go away!' hahaha.

Anyhow, here's Elis Regina singing the song by 'Cartola'... I wonder if it was one of her hit songs (?) because I can listen to this over and over and never get sick of it:

#10 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi Kristi, yes that's one of Elis' hits. Cartola is quite an inspired and exquisite composer, his songs are great, and singers are always re-recording them.

Ney Matogrosso recorded an entire CD with Cartola's songs, one of his most famous and beautiful songs is "O Sol Nascerá":