• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kristi_Shannon

Kristi_Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

From the Brazilian side of this forum, I just heard this guitarist, Mario Ulloa, for the first time and really enjoy the beauty of his playing. I wonder if anyone can give any insight into his background? The only thing I could find is that he seems to be a teacher at a University in Brazil? Here is a video:

Update: I guess he is a Costa Rican guitarist after all. Nevertheless, it seems worth sharing his music!

Edited by Kristi_Shannon, 16 March 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#2 Eugenio

Eugenio

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 8,442 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi Kristi,

Mario Ulloa is indeed from Costa Rica, but he's been living in Brazil since the 1990s, he moved to Salvador, Bahia with his wife, who was born there and since then he has developed quite an interesting career in the city.

He's a classical guitarist by training, very bright one by the way (he studied with Elliott Fisk, among others) and has dedicated most of his time to teaching. He made a significant difference in the local scene, and Bahia has been exporting incredibly talented guitarists at a pace we've never seen before.

Mario is a great arranger and concertizer, I was lucky enough to see him on stage twice and he plays very much like the way you see on the video, very expressive and completely immersed in the music.

And of course, being surrounded by Brazilian music, it was just natural for him to embrace that, he even recorded a now hard-to-find CD called "Mario Ulloa in Brazil" and another one dedicated to Dorival Caymmi's songs.