Sign in to follow this  
yuluka

Luiz Bonfa's solo works

Dear all,

currently I'm exploring the wonderful work of Luiz Bonfa, and I'm particularly fond of his his solo stuff on classical guitar. Since he recorded so many albums with other musicians and with him playing steel-string guitar or even electric guitar, I'm wondering if some people here could help me to find more of his solo recordings where he's playing on classical guitar. I already have the 'Solo in Rio' album which I like very much and now I'm looking for more. Hence, any recommendations (album titles or song titles) would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nate

I regret so much that no one made with Bonfa's works for solo guitar the same that Bellinatti made with Garoto. Bonfa's solo guitar works are amazingly good, but hence there is no score avaible, no one plays them.

I had a dialogue going for a couple years, with a Mel Bay representative and a member of the Smithsonian/Folkways board of directors here at UCLA, to see if Mel Bay could publish a book of Bonfa's arrangements from the Solo in Rio 1959 CD. Unfortunately, nothing ever came of it. Perhaps if more people bother Mel Bay about this prospect.......

other than the tunes from 'the movie', gentle rain, menina flor, few others, bonfa's songs seem to be not available, not even as lead sheets. brasmus doesn't have anything at all. the great songbook series from lumiar overlooked bonfa completely, which is incomprehensible to me (especially considering some of the songwriters who did 'merit' their own volume).

anyone know of anything...anywhere?

Here are six Bonfa arrangements from the fantastic $6.95 collection by Brian Hodel, Brazilian Masters, from sheetmusicplus.com:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/The-Br...Masters/2934820

And four arrangements by Carlos-Barbosa Lima from GSP:

http://www.gspguitar.com/jsp2/detailSearch...p;source=search

thanks, richard. have the hodel, played several of them for some years. mulling over the second. barbosa lima is just such a monster player, with that unbelievable reach...