Sign in to follow this  
Eugenio

Popularity of Brazilian players

I recently got a book that's some sort of catch-all on the guitar subject and tries to cover electric, acoustic and classical, it contains some famous guitarists bios, luthiers and even some basics of how to form chords.

In the bios section, I found the obvious holy trinity of classical guitar: Segovia, Williams, Bream. On the electric side, Hendrix, Clapton, Vai and some other more than expected names.

There were two Brazilian guitarists mentioned: Baden Powell and Raphael Rabello.

Would you guys add any more Brazilian names to such a list? Assuming, of course, that they developed a international career and influenced other people.

well, sure!

yamandu

paulo bellinati

romero lubambo

toquinho

villa lobos

savio (i know, not a native)

barbosa lima (i know, ex-pat)

joão

bonfa

garoto

bosco

for starters...

classical (20th C) is not adequate without barrios and yepes.

rock without santana?

I would be hesitant to add Raphael Rabello to the list. While he was a true genius, a major influential player, changed the guitar scene in Brazil, etc, I don't think he had the opportunity to develop a solid international career as Powell did. I believe João Gilberto had a wider influence and recognition around the world, even though he's not a guitar virtuoso.

I'd feel tempted to add Paulo Bellinati's name to the list. He wrote lots of pieces and arrangements and helped project Garoto's and Brazilian music in general around the globe. But it's difficult to tell how influential he was, maybe over the next 10 years we'll know for sure!

I looked at the book again and it mentions one more Brazilian guitarist besides Powell and Rabello: Egberto Gismonti. Would you guys include him in your lists?