Sign in to follow this  
Eugenio

Tell us how you got familiar with the Brazilian guitar

that's the six-movement suite, right? how long is it altogether (pages/minutes)?

9 pages, 6 minutes, 3 movements! Not an easy task... :17:

found the dvd on amazon for $15.88 new, hovering over that "buy with one click" button... :rolleyes:

You can do it! :risadinha:

Hello,<br><br>I got into when it first came out in the 60,s... the rhythm and chords are infectious...also flamenco at about the same time as I recall seeing some on the Ed Sullivan show, probably saw some bossa nova as well. <br>For the past couple of years I've been studying flamenco which has opened new horizons for me...I have recently discovered, in addition to Baden Powell, carlos moscardini and juan falu, can't forget barrios. I think South America is an amazing fertile musical ground. So brazilian guitar seems, to me at any rate, a logical next step...<br>

Edited by numlock

I remember in the 1970s as a classical guitarist, I was overwhelmed at the discovery that I could use my fingerstyle technique and nylon strings to play this lively genre of Brazilian music. First it was Villa Lobos, a natural classical composer, but then there was the discovery of Baden Powell and Luis Bonfa. Decades later, I discovered great arrangements of Jobim, Almeida and others.

Anyway, it was a great natural sequeue for a classical player. Actually, I play very little classical now, using the same fingerstyle technique for jazz, blues, and of course, Brazilian. I even recently went over to the dark side and bought a couple steel string guitars unsure.gif

I used to play a lot of the classical repertoire in the past, but I'm now 99% devoted to the Brazilian repertoire. Ironically, I became more of a Brazilian guy after I moved to the US...

And Richard, there's no dark side on the steel string guitars, a lot of the Brazilian music for the guitar was actually forged on steel strings, Dilermando Reis and Dino 7 Cordas are very good examples!

Heitor Villa-Lobos and Laurindo Almeida have always been well-known to me. But otherwise Brazilian guitar music was almost Terra Incognita for some reason or other. Then half a year ago I came over a post on Delcamp Forum asking for romantic guitar music in the style of Tarrega and Barrios. The responses mentioned a lot of Brazilian names. I checked up on them, and a bright new world opened up to me. On another Brazilian Guitar forum one of the members kindly e-mailed me a lot of scores. This long and cold winter , which finally has come to an end, I have devoted almost exclusively to Brazilian masters like Baden Powell, D. Reis, Nogueira, Pernambuco etc. It has been a most wonderful experience. I have also been given good advice from members of this forum as well, Eugenio even posted a video on the opening measures of Bachianinha! This music has had an invigorating effect on an aging amateur. Long live the Brazilian masters!

Best wishes

Harry