marius gundersen

Brazilian songs named after drinks

Agua de Beber (Tom Jobim)

Agua e Vinho (Egberto Gismonti)

Chuva, Suor e Cerveja (Caetano Veloso)

Cachaça não é água (Mirabeau Pinheiro / Lúcio de Castro / Heber Lobato)

I remember a few:

Caipiroska (Ahmed El-Salamouny). That's the name of a very popular drink in Brazil, prepared with Vodka, sugar, ice and lemon. It's a piece for solo guitar.

Água e Vinho (Egberto Gismonti). Water and Wine. Originally released as song with lyrics, but mostly played as an instrumental piece on the piano or the guitar.

Cachaça (Mirabeau Pinheiro, Lúcio de Castro, Héber Lobato, Marinósio Filho). No translation for the word "cachaça". This was an extremely popular song in the 1950's, it's a "marchinha de carnaval" (a type of dancing march). Cachaça is considered the true Brazilian alcoholic drink, born and raised in the country. It's very strong, distilled type of drink made from sugar cane.

Café com Leite (Martinho da Vila, Zé Catimba). Coffee and Milk. A samba by Martinho da Vila, it was a big hit. That's an extremely popular combination in Brazil, especially in the morning, combined with hot bread and butter. :eat:

There's many more, I'll just have to spend some time recollecting the titles. Brazilians love to drink and celebrate that in music. Some songs may not have been named after drinks, but a lot of lyrics make references to them. :cheers:

"café com pão" by joão donato

"tea for two" written by vincent youmans and irving caesar, performed by lisa ono (OK, half of the song is in portuguese!)

Edited by patskywriter

I have a great album called "Brazilian Cocktails" by Léo Peracchi e sua Orquestra (Capitol, 1958). All the songs seem to be either named after cocktails, or are cocktail-related, with titles such as Batida de Maracuja, Macumba Cocktail, Tico-tico Bombie and Latin Manhattan. They were all penned by famous Brazilian composers like Jobim, Aloysio de Oliveira, Neco, etc. Maybe that would interest you.

Hi guys!

While we're at it, could someone please give me a good translation and explanation of the following sentence:

Lembrenca do senhor do Bonfim da Bahia

(it is the subtitle of Roland Dyens' Saudade no 3)

Thanks a million

Cheers

Marius

Hi

Thank's to all of you for great suggestions! I will check out all the music.

Bossanaut: I'm very interested in that album, but it seems to be very hard to get hold of. Do you know where I can buy it?

Cheers Marius

Hi Marius,

You can download Peracchi's "Brazilian Cocktails" from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Brazil-Brazilian-Cocktails/dp/B002N8W6G8/ref=sr_shvl_album_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1284370127&sr=301-2

Edited by bossanaut