Sign in to follow this  
KSun28@aol.com

Marcus Tardelli

Who is this guy?! :lol: If Guinga thinks he's a genius, he must be something special!

One of the many things I learned at the brazilian music camp I attended a few weeks ago is that Marcus Tardelli is the guitarist that Guinga admires the most. So I went to take a look on YouTube and Amazon and found just a few videos and snippets of songs from his CD of Guinga songs. Amazing that just from those snippets, you can hear what Guinga is talking about...the expressiveness is so incredible, so much emotion and energy. So much more than 'technique' going on, although he obviously has that, too. Guinga said after listening to Tardelli, everything else sounds like trash (lixo) to his ears (which is funny because this is kind of the way I felt after listening to Guinga for an entire week! Like a religious experience...never experienced anything like that before...WOW!). Sadly, Tardelli's talents seem somewhat hidden; I wish he had more CDs available. I haven't bought the one w/ Guinga's songs yet, but hope to do so soon.

Also, from what I read in Portuguese about him so far, it seems Tardelli, like Guinga, doesn't read music but learned everything by ear. Apparently, Tardelli listened to a lot of orchestral arrangements while learning guitar, and would try to figure out the exact chords/voicings rather than simplify! This means, in some cases, he's using his thumb on his left hand (in front of the neck! Ouch!) to create voicings that aren't normally possible on guitar. I saw Guinga do this several times at camp, as well as his 'translator' who is a very talented young guitarist, whose name I can't recall right now. In fact, this talented young guy started playing a snippet of an arrangement of 'O Bôto' (by Tom Jobim) that apparently was done by Tardelli...but where is the recording??? I must have it! lol In it, there is more of the 5-finger left hand playing, and it sounds so beautiful that you feel like crying when you hear it! In fact, I heard that song the very first time at camp via that guitarist...after 2 weeks of that song repeating in my head, I just had to go to YouTube to hear it again. And again. And again. The Jobim version is nice, but I like the Edu Lobo version a lot, too! :D

Edited by Kristi_Shannon

Hi Kristie, thanks a lot for talking about the event, I believe the translator was Ricardo Vogt, one of Guinga's protégés and extremely talented musician. Check his picture and let me know if this is the guy:

20080803-20080803-_DSC7241.jpg

Yeah, Tardelli is quite the guy. Early to tell that he's a genius, but he sure does have followers who praise him as their new savior! :thumbsupsmiley:

He does read and write music, although not as classical musician, he learned the whole thing, but as it happens with most guitarists dedicated to popular music, he goes with the gut and hardly writes things down on paper.

Hi Eugenio! Tudo bem? :)

No, this was a different guy. Quite young(maybe in 20's?), medium build, and maybe around 5'6-5'7 (height), but yes, I'm assuming he is another protégé of Guinga's, because he seemed very familiar with most of Guinga's songs. He did speak English like someone born here in the U.S... and yet he seemed so completely fluent in Portuguese, so I'm guessing that maybe his parents are Brazilian(or he's very good at languages!).

Back to Marcus Tardelli: I wonder if the 5-finger left hand technique becomes easier over time? Because when I try it, it feels very uncomfortable...as if one might damage a tendon or something like that. And yet, when I see these guys do it, it doesn't seem like they are strained, so maybe I'm just not doing it properly. I'll have to watch the video a bit more and see if I can do it.

PS. At one point, I asked Guinga's translator about a voicing that, instead of using the 5-finger technique, could much more easily be achieved with an open E string... his response was that Guinga thought it sounded better that way. So, I guess to these guys it's not just the harmony that's important, but the tonal quality of each note in the voicing. Very fussy about the particulars!

Who is this guy?! :lol: If Guinga thinks he's a genius, he must be something special!

One of the many things I learned at the brazilian music camp I attended a few weeks ago is that Marcus Tardelli is the guitarist that Guinga admires the most. So I went to take a look on YouTube and Amazon and found just a few videos and snippets of songs from his CD of Guinga songs. Amazing that just from those snippets, you can hear what Guinga is talking about...the expressiveness is so incredible, so much emotion and energy. So much more than 'technique' going on, although he obviously has that, too. Guinga said after listening to Tardelli, everything else sounds like trash (lixo) to his ears (which is funny because this is kind of the way I felt after listening to Guinga for an entire week! Like a religious experience...never experienced anything like that before...WOW!). Sadly, Tardelli's talents seem somewhat hidden; I wish he had more CDs available. I haven't bought the one w/ Guinga's songs yet, but hope to do so soon.

Also, from what I read in Portuguese about him so far, it seems Tardelli, like Guinga, doesn't read music but learned everything by ear. Apparently, Tardelli listened to a lot of orchestral arrangements while learning guitar, and would try to figure out the exact chords/voicings rather than simplify! This means, in some cases, he's using his thumb on his left hand (in front of the neck! Ouch!) to create voicings that aren't normally possible on guitar. I saw Guinga do this several times at camp, as well as his 'translator' who is a very talented young guitarist, whose name I can't recall right now. In fact, this talented young guy started playing a snippet of an arrangement of 'O Bôto' (by Tom Jobim) that apparently was done by Tardelli...but where is the recording??? I must have it! lol In it, there is more of the 5-finger left hand playing, and it sounds so beautiful that you feel like crying when you hear it! In fact, I heard that song the very first time at camp via that guitarist...after 2 weeks of that song repeating in my head, I just had to go to YouTube to hear it again. And again. And again. The Jobim version is nice, but I like the Edu Lobo version a lot, too! :D

Yes my friend, Marcus Tardelli is a true Genius!! Guinga was absolutely right when he spoke about Marcus. A few years ago I had the privilege of seeing Marcus Tardelli several hours playing here in Brazil and I was completely shocked not only with his revolutionary technique, but with his new musical thought and artistic depth.

Probably the young guitarist translator to which you were referring to was Ian Faquini, a great talent of the guitar and one of the many new guitarists influenced by Marcus Tardelli in the world today.

The snippet from "Boto" you have heard this guy playing is from a genial arrangment of Marcus Tardelli, in which he uses his amazing innovative techniques such as using the left thumb, bars with the back of the finger, fingernail press notes or part of his own hand. Ian learned some of these techniques because he took classes with Tardelli.

As Guinga said, Tardelli takes the music of any composer, be it classical or popular, and further enhances the music through his arrangements and his expression.

It's really amazing the emotion that this arrangement transmits and the feeling that comes when Marcus plays it. As you said "it sounds so beautiful that you feel like crying when you hear it". Tardelli has not recorded this arrangement yet, but I think it will be on his next album, only with Brazilian themes.

Is true that Tardelli's talents seem somewhat hidden, his videos on you tube are just a small taste of what Marcus really plays. But his next cds are coming, I think after them, the world of the guitar will never be the same.

Best

Edited by Amorim

Oi Amorim!

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I will be eagerly anticipating any future recordings of Marcus Tardelli, and if I get the chance to see him live, that would be great, too. And you are correct...the young guitarist's name is Ian...so talented! Best regards! :)