Sign in to follow this  

It is so amazing to live in this time when we have greater access to music beyond our physical borders, so when I hear Chico Buarque sing "Para um coração mesquinho- Contra a solidão agreste

-Luiz Gonzaga é tiro certo" I can watch You Tube videos and see why he wrote that. Anyhow, here's a song I really love. The rhythm confuses me because it seems kind of like a baião but it also seems to have a little bit of a maracatu rhythm?

I also wonder, is there a difference between the baião and the xaxado? Or are they more or less the same thing?

Oh, yeah, Luiz Gonzaga was a genius! His music probably sounds a little strange to foreign ears, but baião is one of cornerstones of Brazilian music and Gonzagão is considered the "King of Baião". :worshippy:

And speaking of Chico Buarque, he recently paid homage to Luiz Gonzaga again in a very beautiful and modern baião-like song:

There's a lot of explore in the music from Brazil's northeast: xote, xaxado, baião, maracatu, frevo, all beautiful styles, some very hard and full of virtuosity. If you're thinking about playing pieces in those styles on the guitar (either original compositions or arrangements), Nonato Luiz is the man:

Anyhow, here's a song I really love. The rhythm confuses me because it seems kind of like a baião but it also seems to have a little bit of a maracatu rhythm?

What you identified as sounding like maracatu probably has to do with the percussion, but it's still a baião. Maracatu has the accent in the upbeat and it's very distinctive in that regard.

I also wonder, is there a difference between the baião and the xaxado? Or are they more or less the same thing?

Xaxado is usually a faster, virtuoso type of baião that includes sudden stops. It's said to have been invented by "cangaceiros", outlaws who used to live in outback, they'd would get together, dance frantically and challenge each other.

I consider Guinga's famous Baião de Lacan to be much more of a xaxado than a typical baião.

Thanks, Eugenio for clarifying the differences...always very interesting! Love the dance video! Not an easy dance, I believe...maybe even harder than the samba (pra mim)! :lol:

Also, thanks for sharing the Nonato Luiz...great stuff...love that muted string effect and the great Asa Branca...I've heard it's like an unofficial anthem of Brazil?

As for Marcus Tardelli...I just can't believe how fast he plays that! I think they will need to invent a new speed on the metronome just for this. haha