Sign in to follow this  
Jefferson Garrido

Cantor Emílio Santiago morre no Rio

Triste notícia. Eu estava torcendo pela recuperação. Era um grande cantor. Muita técnica, muita experiência, um timbre maravilhoso. Vai deixar muita saudade.

Concordo com os comentários. Ele foi um dos últimos grandes crooners que o Brasil teve. Lamentável.

I remember seeing him on what was back when I was a kid, the major "Hispanic" TV channel. He was quite the crooner and he appeared on some Rede Globo TV shows. (Elis Regina was on some of those shows, too.)

Hi Pat, interesting that you used the word crooner when talking about him, because I heard that he didn't like to be identified as such. At least in Brazil "crooner" is commonly identified as a entertainer with a nice voice that sings for others to dance or listen to as background music, some singers kind of dislike that.

Lembrei agora que um dos grande sucessos de Emilio Santiago, Bananeira, foi arranjada para quatro violões pelo Maogani. Dá pra ouvir um trechinho aqui:

http://www.shazam.com/music/web/track?id=54286395

I meant crooner in the USA sense, which refers to a smooth singer. Sometimes people say "crooner" when they refer to a singer whose manner is stylized and not necessarily very good. It all depends on the context. :)

I meant crooner in the USA sense, which refers to a smooth singer. Sometimes people say "crooner" when they refer to a singer whose manner is stylized and not necessarily very good. It all depends on the context. :)

Got it!

Milton Nascimento actually recorded an album titled "Crooner", it's a great one, he recycles a lot of the old standards with a sense of joy and fun, his only mistake (big one, btw) was to sing "Beat It", I guess that's the type of song that only Michael Jackson can sing. :yes: