Sign in to follow this  
zweshua

ahhhhhhh A Garota de Ipanema / The Girl from Ipanema

I think you have the wrong idea about Brazil. Anyway, the exception only confirms the rule.

We're not talking about dancing, we're talking about the way people walk. Hip sway is typically a feminine trait, it's biological and a body shaped like an hour glass facilitates that. Men's attention is more focused on chest and shoulders. Again, biology, you don't see a lot of men with an hour glass body.

We're not talking rocket science here. Women with large shoulders and men with hip sway are the exception, not the rule. Nothing wrong with the exception either, it's just the exception.

Sapopemba has a valid point, you can't just change the pronouns from he to she and expect the lyrics to make sense, men and women are not described the say way.

Hmmmm this is getting interesting. I do not agree with you, but it could be said sterotypically that 'males walk like that', and 'women walk like the other way', but in my experience it is just not like that. I see a spectrum, and not black and white like that.

Tell me, do you have any gay Brazilian guitarists, or any musicians that you know of? If so I would love to ask one or two what they think of this 'problem'?

Hmmmm this is getting interesting. I do not agree with you, but it could be said sterotypically that 'males walk like that', and 'women walk like the other way', but in my experience it is just not like that. I see a spectrum, and not black and white like that.

Tell me, do you have any gay Brazilian guitarists, or any musicians that you know of? If so I would love to ask one or two what they think of this 'problem'?

I agree there is a spectrum, it's not black and white and I didn't mean that. I was not referring to stereotypes, I was referring to averages.

Look up "Menino do Rio" and "Salva Vida" by Caetano Veloso, both songs were written for blokes he met on the beach.

I don't care much if the guitarist is gay, black or white, I'm more interested in their music.

I agree there is a spectrum, it's not black and white and I didn't mean that. I was not referring to stereotypes, I was referring to averages.

Look up "Menino do Rio" and "Salva Vida" by Caetano Veloso, both songs were written for blokes he met on the beach.

I don't care much if the guitarist is gay, black or white, I'm more interested in their music.

Thanks I will.

I am really interested in somehow having this song adress a male...and music :)

Edited by zweshua

lol this query brings up issues ....You see if we decide only women can walk that way, and only men the other. What about when reality contradicts this?

ALSO I see many males walk with a rythym , like Samba etc. ESPECIALLY males of colour

"You see if we decide only women can walk that way, and only men the other."

Ninguém está dizendo que mulheres DEVEM caminhar de um jeito e homens DEVEM caminhar de outro, e sim que o andar característico de um gênero é diferente do de outro na época e no local onde a música foi composta e onde cena da canção ocorre.

"What about when reality contradicts this"

Claro que há exceções, isso é óbvio. Mas se a letra não indicar de alguma forma que se trata de uma situação de exceção, fica esquisito.

"ALSO I see many males walk with a rythym, like Samba etc. ESPECIALLY males of colour"

Há um caminhar característico do malando carioca, com certo ritmo (ginga), porém com o movimento acentuado na região dos ombros, e não dos quadris. Mesmo nesse caso, mudando o título da música para "O malando de Ipanema", acho que os trechos "doce balanço" e "mais que um poema" não são adequados.

Eu ia citar "O Leãozinho", também do Caetano, destacando os trechos "caminhando sob o sol" e "arrastando meu olhar como um ímã". No primeiro trecho, Caetano não qualifica o modo do caminhar, apenas diz que o rapaz caminha. No segundo, também não descreve nem qualifica o caminhar, mas relata o efeito que o caminhar do rapaz produz no narrador. Creio serem boas saídas que poderiam inspirar a versão de gênero e de idioma pretendida pelo nosso colega.

Ceatano escreveu Leãozinho pro filho dele.

I think the YouTube video has nothing to do with what we're debating here. Ordinary people don't walk and dress like that when they go to the mall, to the office or when they're home relaxing. It's actually quite a stretch to think that everyone can be artistic all the time, a few might be, but again, that's just the exception that confirms the norm.

The Girl from Ipanema is a song that describes a pretty woman going about her business as usual, it's the guy who seems to be in love and, as expected, he's just exaggerating whatever he sees. The lyrics also let us know that she doesn't seem to realize the effect she has on other people.

Eu estava em dúvida se era O leãozinho ou Menino do Rio que havia sido feita para o Dadi. Se não fosse você, eu não teria ido atrás dessa informação. A pesquisa no Google me levou ao livro indicado no link, que me pareceu tão interessante que decidi que vou comprá-lo. Devo essa descoberta a você!

I AM going deep into this song ....First it was finding the translation of the Portugese, and me learning the singing and rythm of this laguage from brazil. THEN I find out--well according to those who responded here--it can only mean a woman, about a woman

Well lol there may be a little bias, because I assume both of you are heterosexual?

I have absolutely no problem singing about it and imagining a woman, but I also imagine looking and longing for a BOY, which is what us gays like you straights do too :)

So, hmmm, I insist that boys I look at have rythm which can be called 'swing'--it dont mean a thing if he aint got that sing doo wop du wop etc lol

Now, I would LOVE to know if there are any gay musicians here to let me know what they think of this conundrum. Do they agree with you? If so, could the song be re-arranged to mean looking at a hot dude walking, aloof, and not seeing you....? I am still wondering who are the gay Brazilian singers guitarists?? I MUST ask one about this