Sign in to follow this  
zweshua

ahhhhhhh A Garota de Ipanema / The Girl from Ipanema

Quando se canta, está-se interpretando um papel. Eu canto indistintamente letras de eu-lírico feminino ou masculino, hetero ou homossexual.

I AM going deep into this song ....First it was finding the translation of the Portugese, and me learning the singing and rythm of this laguage from brazil. THEN I find out--well according to those who responded here--it can only mean a woman, about a woman

Well lol there may be a little bias, because I assume both of you are heterosexual?

I have absolutely no problem singing about it and imagining a woman, but I also imagine looking and longing for a BOY, which is what us gays like you straights do too :)

So, hmmm, I insist that boys I look at have rythm which can be called 'swing'--it dont mean a thing if he aint got that sing doo wop du wop etc lol

Now, I would LOVE to know if there are any gay musicians here to let me know what they think of this conundrum. Do they agree with you? If so, could the song be re-arranged to mean looking at a hot dude walking, aloof, and not seeing you....? I am still wondering who are the gay Brazilian singers guitarists?? I MUST ask one about this

You can do whatever you want with the song, and even say that the Girl from Ipanema has a penis. This debate sounds like too much ado for nothing.

The few gay guitarists that I know of are in the closet, if they don't want to come out, I'm not going to expose them. Badi Assad is a female guitarist that a lot of times mention being feminine when playing certain types of music, which is something interesting to see and hear in a male dominated field.

You can do whatever you want with the song, and even say that the Girl from Ipanema has a penis. This debate sounds like too much ado for nothing.

The few gay guitarists that I know of are in the closet, if they don't want to come out, I'm not going to expose them. Badi Assad is a female guitarist that a lot of times mention being feminine when playing certain types of music, which is something interesting to see and hear in a male dominated field.

To me it is very interesting and important conversation, but you are entitled to your opinion as usual.

So another revelation!! So it is not usual for Brazilian musicians to come out??? That is very strange, because the music has so much soul.

I mean I am aware that rap and hip hop is homophobia and very few dare come out, but didn't know this was the case in brazilian music. So much so you cannot name me ONE gay Brazilian guitarist! Well here I am, a learning Brazilian guitar and singing guitarists. And PROUD of it :) I hope this little message may encourage others

You're making a generalization, I was talking specifically about Brazilian guitarists, and even narrowing it down to instrumentalists with a solo career. It's not going to be much different if you look for gay flamenco guitarists.

A lot of Brazilian singers, composers and other musicians are openly gay.

You're making a generalization, I was talking specifically about Brazilian guitarists, and even narrowing it down to instrumentalists with a solo career. It's not going to be much different if you look for gay flamenco guitarists.

A lot of Brazilian singers, composers and other musicians are openly gay.

Please name me one Brazilian singer (male) who is openly gay?

Ney Matogrosso is openly and wildly gay, LOL. He does a great version of Dorival Caymmi's "O Que É Que a Bahiana Tem."

By the way, both Diana Krall and Ella Fitzgerald sing about the "Boy from Ipanema," but of course they're singing it in English. Krall is singing as someone admiring a hot guy, but Fitzgerald is singing as someone observing a guy having an effect on women without realizing it. I say don't get too caught up on the words. You can tweak them to suit you or you can sing the original lyrics in a way that adds more meaning to you.

Edited by patskywriter