Sign in to follow this  
Kazu

Powell samba de uma nota so technique?

Hello,

I have great trouble with figuring out what the great master Powell is doing on this particular live version of Samba de uma nota so.

I am mainly talking about the part that starts at 00:46. It seems as it would be a very fast arpeggio picking pattern but i can not figure out what he is doing.
I could not find a transcription of this particular version and have not seen anybody playing it the same way.
Maybe somebody knows what Powell is doing ,or a tune that is played in a similar way.

Thank you very much

Greeting Lars

Hi Lars, welcome to the forum.

We were just discussing this topic here, some the techniques used in the Brazilian guitar style. That one you see on the video is what we call, for the lack of a better description, the Brazilian rasgueado, but it's very different from what you'd see in Flamenco. It's the fingers i-a, but used to play full chords. That gave Baden an incredible speed and allowed him to still control the bass lines.

I put together a quick video a while ago, maybe that can help understand the idea. I'll try to record another one that shows how it's used with full chords and at higher speeds.

Brazilian guitarist Ulisses Rocha also wrote a study that explores and develops that technique.

Lars, great idea and thanks for posting the slow version. :thumbsup:

I'll try to record a video with that chord progression or something similar that shows the technique in an even slower a easier to understand way.

Also, I'm totally unable to play as fast as Powell, so it's also a good excuse for me to play slow... :)

Lars, I recorded this short video with one of the passages in hope that'll make things a little more clear.

It's not the most challenging passage, but it should give you some idea of how Baden plays it. :)

Hi Eugenio

I think I understood the first four measures. It seems that Baden changes the rhythmic patterns all the time and it's very difficult to play.

I recorded a video and at the end of it I had to play several times to reach a good result. Even so the result is only acceptable.

http://youtu.be/DxR76BODG5U

That's really difficult to understand even at 40% of the original speed.

But I think I'm finally understanding that technique a little better and I gotta say that Mr. Powell is the man!

Please keep those videos and explanations coming.

Edited by Dan

Renato, that's great and I think you got the rhythm right, all you need to add is little more of a "dirty sound", as Baden wasn't really plucking the strings, he was strumming.

I'm not gonna be able to record anything again until next week, maybe I'll take a crack at that and see how it works for me.

This has been a very interesting challenge, here we are, 50+ years later trying to crack the code on Baden's technique. :)

Eugenio, I'm not sure if he was strumming. Because I can hear three different sounds, the bass, the trebles and an intermediate layer that seems to be played with the index finger. In my view he was using the right hand fingers as three groups, thumb, index and the middle and ring fingers together. João Bosco usually do the same. But I'm also not absolutely sure about it.

Edited by Renato Candro