Sign in to follow this  
Eugenio

Titles and translations

A lot of times things are lost in translation, I just wanted to collect a few interesting examples.

* How Insensitive - A Insensatez (Antonio Carlos Jobim)

Insensatez is actually closer to "insane" and the original lyrics in Portuguese complains about a person who seems to be a heart breaker and how insane it was to end a love affair.

* If I should ask her (Dilermando Reis) - Se Ela Perguntar

The proper translation is "if she asks", or if we want to expand the meaning a little, it's more like "in case she asks about me".

Again, another broken heart song (although the lyrics were added later) and answer "please tell her I'm happy".

Dilermando's original style is different from what most people hear nowadays, he was very sentimental and played with steel strings.

What about "Água de beber"? I have seen "Water to drink" and "Drinking water" but none of them is fully correct. Maybe it's because this is not a common expression even in Portuguese.

Drinking water would be a literal translation, what's missing is the context, the Capoeira chanting and the word "Camará" in the lyrics, that's hard even for Brazilians to understand the meaning. :)

That reminds me of Bonfá's "Xangô", there's no translation, it's the name of an African deity. Here's Jarkko Toivonen's rendition for that piece, which is great, by the way.

What about the Girl from Ipanema? She strikes me as gorgeous but snob. Is that the way it was written in Portuguese, as well?

Edited by Dan

Corcova is Portuguese for hump, like in the back of a camel. Corcovado means humpy.

It's actually the name of a hilly place in Rio de Janeiro, that's described as having humps. :)