Sign in to follow this  
Bulerias

Baden Powell's "Invenção Em 7 1/2"

I'd like to share my rendition of Baden Powell's "Invenção Em 7 1/2," which, to my knowledge, has never been transcribed or recorded by anyone else. One of the guitar parts is sped up to simulate a baroque instrument -- I recorded it exactly the same way Baden did (second guitar part first, slowed it down 50%, recorded first guitar part over it twice as slow, sped up both parts). Enjoy!

Wow, great rendition, superb. :41::thumbsupsmiley:

Baden has lots of hidden gems in his dozens of records, thanks for bringing this one back to the spotlight.

I didn't know it was recorded that way, thanks for telling us that.

Wow, great rendition, superb. :41::thumbsupsmiley:

Baden has lots of hidden gems in his dozens of records, thanks for bringing this one back to the spotlight.

I didn't know it was recorded that way, thanks for telling us that.

It was somewhat of a serendipitous discovery for me, actually. I've been fascinated with this piece for many years, and I also enjoy listening to music in different keys, so I sometimes use audio manipulation programs like Audacity to change the pitch/speed. After trying it with Invencao, I noticed that the melody started to sound more like an actual guitar... lo and behold, it was! Luckily, the two parts were recorded in true stereo, so I was able to isolate and listen separately to the right and left channels and transcribe both parts. :D

I later learned that the title of the piece is a reference to this recording technique: the 7 1/2 inches per second tape speed and 3 3/4 inches per second tape speed.

Edited by DanielDelFuego

I lost track of how many times I listed to your rendition in the last 2 days! :yes:

And learning the story behind it was also great. :thumbsup:

I listed to this piece many times in the past, and now I think that this audio tape manipulation explains why the instruments are slight off key in the original record.

Wow, that's so incredibly beautiful, you almost made me cry! Thanks for posting that, amigo. :) I didn't know that Powell wrote that type of music. I was also completely unaware of the technique used to record the guitars.